Shipp’s Marine was founded in 1955 by A. E. “Pappy” Shipp and his son, John W. Shipp. The original business was a gas and service station which began working on small outboards. A Scott-Attwater Outboard representative took notice and inquired about the possibilty of setting up the father and son team as a dealer. Pappy, being an avid fisherman, and John, a water sports enthusiast himself, agreed it was an opportunity worth pursuing and so began Shipp’s Marine Service, Inc.
As business grew, so did Pappy’s desire to see an improved bass boat for the consumer. He approached a local boat builder with his ideas and suggestions. When they failed to implement any of his ideas, he decided to build his own bass boat. In 1964, Sidewinder Bass Boats went into production. Advertised as a boat, “Designed and built, as the ultimate in comfort, service, and ‘fishability’ for the fisherman by a fisherman”, sales of the boats immediately soared. In 1967, Pappy’s youngest son, Glenn D. Shipp, joined the family business. This further allowed Pappy to focus fully on the Sidewinder boats while John and Glenn maintained the retail side of the business.